Thursday, September 17, 2009

Steps in the right direction!!

Today has been our best day yet!! Kip and I have scheduled all our ventilator training classes for next week. Unfortunately, this will push our discharge date back a little. But fortunately, we will have night nursing in place and will be able to go home on Thursday!! Just in time for Aidan's SECOND birthday!! Can you believe our little man is going to be TWO?!?!?!?

Aidan worked soooo hard today!! He has been off the ventilator all day, even was on room air - with no humidification for almost an hour!! I'm so proud of him!! We are working on getting him comfortable with a moisture valve which will fit over his trach - kind of like a barrel on a st. bernard (but without the whiskey!!). With this, he can go out and about without the need for humidified oxygen. Making our lives just a little easier :) Did I just say easier?? I really thought we had thrown that word out of our vocabulary!!

Kip and I had our trach and cpr classes today. I was so surprised how much we have already picked up in the last week! I feel like a little Spongebob, soaking up all information. I remember coming into the hospital...almost a month ago...and thinking "what's this entitle crap they keep mentioning? and why is it do damn important??" Now we ask on a daily basis what he's measuring. (FYI - it is a monitor they place on his vent tube to measure his carbon dioxide rate).

I'm still in shock that we may get to go home next week!! We have been in the hospital so long, that I'm forgetting what a normal homelife is like! I am longing for those mornings where I can walk into Aidan's room and pick him up and squeeze him good morning. Watching Spongebob on the couch together. Or getting a meal without having to hand the man at the register a $20 bill....yes, hospital food is NOT cheap!!

I think we are slowing accepting our new path in life...but still knowing that we will have a lot of hurdles to overcome once we transition back to homelife. But it will be so nice to have our little man home with us, in his bed where he belongs. Just with another tube to take care of, a lot more equipment!! But....there's no place like home!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that Aidan is doing so well! That is wonderful news!

    I can only imagine all of the things that you have to learn. I bet it will all be old hat in no time. I know there will be adjustments, but you will find what works for you. He is a strong little man because he learned from you and Kip.

    So excited that you will be home before his birthday. YAY! Still trying to wrap my mind around the whole two-year-old thing, though. : )

    ReplyDelete