Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Before I was a "Special" Parent


Before I was a Special Parent...I actually had a savings account. I didn't know that I should have invested heavily in paper towels, hand sanitizer, velcro and tape.
Before I was a special parent...MOOD SWINGS came only with PMS. STATUS was something you earned, not dreaded. And when you got it, MOBILITY was usually upward. FINE MOTOR ACTIVITY was taking the car for a drive on a nice day and GROSS MOTOR MOVEMENT was the universal one-finger salute.

Before I was a special parent...I thought BUTTONS went on your blouse, not your belly. GENES were labeled Levi or Guess. And MUTATIONS were confined to the Incredible Hulk.

Before I was a special parent...GUILT came from something I did, not something I didn't do. COMMUNICATION was about saying all the right things. ADAPT ment telling someone to get over it already. And ASPIRATION meant Ambition.

BUT ALSO
I didn't know that SORROW never leaves you where you found it.
I didn't know unbridled JOY could come from heartbreak.
I didn't know my baby would be my TEACHER.
I didn't know the meaning of UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.
I didn't realize that the little stuff is really THE BIG STUFF.
I didn't realize how well someone can COMMUNICATE without words.
I didn't know that milestones are not as important as SMILESTONES.
I didn't know that my baby would TOUCH the world not from what he has done, but from what he cannot do.
I didn't know the POWER of his powerlessness.
I didn't know that I have so much to LEARN.

1 comment: